Our Lady Queen of Saints
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Our Lady Queen of Saints

Home Schooling Families Educating The Saints of Tomorrow

You are not connected. Please login or register

Arithmetic or Mathematics curriculum

+2
JulieFrank
jenna
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jenna

jenna

Hi all,

Looking for a math/arithmetic curriculum that emphasizes learning numbers, whole and fractional parts. A curriculum that initially focuses on learning the base ten pattern (ones, tens, hundreds...) and the relationship between the pattern before delving into operations of numbers. And perhaps introduces operations by using base ten as a tool. For example: give the student 7 manipulatives (Ones) and then give 5 more(Tens), moving from the ones to the tens.

Hope I'm making sense here, in a rush and I'm trying to explain quickly. Hope someone can help.

God Bless,

Jen

JulieFrank

JulieFrank
Admin

Hi Jen,

I have always used Modern Curriculum Press Mathmatics workbooks for the younger grades and they have always worked out very well. They are very basic, very easy to use and teach and I feel very methodical in teaching the concepts; introducing a concept one day with practice then building on the concept from there. My girls have always done very well with them. We also use Math-U-See for 7th grade currently and I am happy with that at this level, but I do not know about it at the younger levels. I started out first grade with Abeka and after 5 days, changed. It was time-consuming and my daughter got bored quickly when she understood something but they kept going over it. We have also used Singapore Math in the 5th and 6th grade levels and I liked their format as well, but again I do not have experience with it for younger ones. I would highly recommend MCP, though, is the upshot of my ramblings.

God Bless,
Julie

hsmomof6

hsmomof6

Hi Jen - I use MCP as well - that works well for us as I switch to Saxon after 3rd grade.... I have used Math-U-See as well - that seems to be more what you are looking for - if you can, see if you can take a look at the alpha book - check online at their website, I think you can look at some sample pages, if you call the rep for this area, she lives in Raynham and is very helpful.
Also, you can take a look at the early books of MCP if you would like, send me a message and we can figure out a time
Smile
Hope that helps,
Karen

Momtonineblessings

Momtonineblessings
Admin

Hi Jen,

We use Math-U-See with all grade levels, and have been very happy with it. Abigail is just about completed with the Primary level, and will begin Alpha in the next few weeks. Reggie has completed all the books as he is graduating next month. He has tested very well on the Stanford and SATs, using the MUS. You are more than welcomed to look at we have here, just let me know!

Happy, blessed Easter!
God bless,
Jennifer :-)

jenna

jenna

Thanks all for your input.

I think I have Math U See Primary somewhere. Sophia is a visual learner, so maybe this would work out.

Also for MCP, Karen perhaps I can stop by Mount Carmel Thursday around 9pm before adoration and take a look. Does that sound good?

Thanks again for all your input.
Hope all is well.

God Bless,

Jen

Mrs.C3

Hi Jenna,
I also have the complete set of Shiller Math with many manipulatives and a montessori approach to math that you might like to look at. I paid 275. dollars for it and am selling it for $100. I know money is tight so I would lend it all to you at no charge and sell it when you were done with it. Give me a call if you are interested. Pauline 508-995-8910

hsmomof6

hsmomof6

Hi Jen
Let me know if you want me to bring the math to Mt Carmel - I usually get there about 9:30 - can meet you in the parking lot (sounds like a spy movie LOL)
I will be there this week as well as next week
Karen

jenna

jenna

Hi,

Pauline, I will look at it online and see if it's something Sophia would like. I will get back to you. Thanks for the offer. Still planning to get together on a Thursday, when we're healthy again. Lots of colds going around.

Yes Karen, I would love to meet you at the parking lot just before 9:30pm. Thanks very much. I would be interested in mostly 1st grade but maybe Kindergarten too. < This message will self-destruct in three seconds> : )

God Bless,
Jen

hsmomof6

hsmomof6

ok Jen- (as I peek out from behind trees LOL) I will have the MCP A and K books with me tonight - The K is missing a bunch of pages, cuz we are almost done with it, but it should give you an idea.... should I bring the nerf guns for protection?
Karen

jenna

jenna

Hi all,

I let someone borrow our Math U See primer book and dvd, but not sure who. Sophia is ready for somekind of formal math curriculum and I'd like to see if she does well with it.

If you remember, please shoot me a PM.

I don't know that I labeled the inside cover of it, so you'll be going by memory only.

I apologize for my forgetfulness.

Thanks and God Bless,
Jen

MomtoPaul

MomtoPaul
Admin

Jenna-
Have you looked at Miquon?- it is very hands on with associative approach using he Cusinaire rods and base ten blocks.(I can loan you what I have) I think I have a copy of the Orange book (1) or purple (3) some where if you are still investigating.

I also liked some of he Critical Thinking books for work wtih hands on math.

Wendy

jenna

jenna

Hi Wendy,

Thanks so much, I have some Miquon books but would rather try Math U See because Sophia is a visual learner. I think she would do better with that.

Thanks again.

God Bless,
Jen

MomtoPaul

MomtoPaul
Admin

She might also like the [url= http://www.first-school.ws/theme/printables/dominoes-math.htm]Domino math[/url]

I also liked the unifix cubes - they have a lot of activites that walk you through the different opeations.

Some of these might be better as suplements- but I found that MUS often needed other activites to practice and supplement the workbooks around lesson 20 before doing the last 10 lessons (and even more so at the Delta and Gamma level).

Wendy

MomtoPaul

MomtoPaul
Admin

How about right start math. I just looked at this and thought it looked really interesting.

jenna

jenna

Hi Wendy,

I just found RightStart Math today, it is sold through Sonlight and is right up Charlotte Mason's alley. I came across someone who was using it and she really liked it. I'm a touchy feely type so I'll have to find someone who has it first, before shelling out the cash.

Thanks for the advice.

God Bless,

Jen

MomtoPaul

MomtoPaul
Admin

Jenn-

I see right start on Cathswap all the time. Maybe you can save some Cash it is pricey. It can also be purchased from Moving Beyond the Page. More hands on stuff from them.

It looks great you will have to tell me if you like it.

Wendy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum